Hi, I'm Andrew Brown
I've had a long career in web-development well beyond a decade. I care about growing the economic development of Canada. I accomplish this by sharing my knowledge and network with startups and developers. I try to volunteer my time best I can, but when I cannot, I charge reasonable prices.
Fractional CTO / Technical Advisor
These are things I find startups need:
- Reducing technical debt and putting automated systems in place to avoid future debt.
- Catch contractors lying about hours or subcontracting is happening without permission.
- Creating custom technical architectures, both practical and at scale.
- Putting together detailed budgets or ballparks to help with fundraising budgets.
- Qualifying and evaluating technical hires or third-party teams.
- Coaching startups with no technical co-founders on how to have technical visibility.
- Provide "muscle" for critical business meetings to dispel technical concerns.
- Mentor early hires to help them learn up and improve employee retention.
- Create a Developer Handbook to reduce ramp-up of new hires.
Don't feel like you have to go it alone, I provide sanity and support these ways:
- Send you leads for potential interns, contractors, first-employees.
- Strategize and connect with business partnerships.
- Map out all the hidden costs involved both biz-dev and technical.
- Accompany to networking events as a way to introduce you into startup culture.
- Talk through startups ideas and try to materialize them into documents and designs.
These are the problems I hear:
- Migrated to Canada with past job history from home-country but that experience is being discounted or ignored since its not Canadian job history.
- Bootcamp graduate but still cannot break into the industry.
- Every interview is different technology and process, so wasting so much time self-studying everything and getting no-where.
I help developers combat these problems in various ways:
- Teach new in-demand skills and put together learning journeys with goals.
- Assist them in putting together a tech talk and finding a speaking venue.
- Provide feedback on their LinkedIn Profile to attract more job opportunities.
- Pair-programing sessions on open-source contributions.
- Provide internships opportunities to trusted startups in my network.
- Identify and eliminate social and cultural red-flags that may be holding you back.
- Strategize how to apply to specific jobs and help on coding challenges and take home projects.
- Grant access to my paid course content for free for self-study.